10/10/2014

Selling players as underevaluations

In the past, the most common way people have raised cash has been to bring in youths, get them to double jump (e.g. a 17/4 to an 18/6) and then sell them on. However, something that is becoming increasingly common is the deliberate sale of players that will increase skill on transfer. I've seen more adverts in the forums of late for players that are being listed as underevaluations, and it makes sense to sell players in this way as you can get the skill increase without an increase in age.

My first thoughts are this approach would work better in the official leagues - you can sell players quite late into a long season (thus maximising the skill increase a player will get), you can pick a target league to sell to and it's easier for managers to verify the players you are selling. However, I will be trying this approach in a private league, with the aim of training a player and then selling them as a double underevaluation.

My Red Army side has two young strikers that are both very high in their skill band - Makalov is on 6.4 skill and Anosov is on 5.4. Obtaining a double at the end of the season for both is a viable target, although I believe I can maximise their selling potential due to the nature of the league. The division has nine teams with one match a week, so it's 16 games over 18 weeks. There are also two cups so there's plenty of room to garner extra match experience, especially as I made the final of one and am confident that I can progress quite far in the other, two-legged affair. If I keep the two players' forms up, I believe I can get the players to their target DVs - Makalov would need to be on about 18 DV if I sell at the very last moment to gain 1.1 skill, while Anosov will need a high 18 / low 19 by my reckoning, as he needs the extra 0.1 skill due to even rounding.

It will be the first time I've purposely sold underevaluations and I think it will be useful to gain some experience of listing and attempting to advertise deliberate underevals as well as providing me data for the mini-CR.

11 comments:

  1. how did you get on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'd be interested to know as well. Were you able to sell a young player for a fortune?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually reached the point where I'm going to sell him yet. :)

      His DV has just reached 18 (although his AF is only 14), but I've got three more games or so where he's probably going to get lots of game time. I'm going to have to sell him at the last possible moment, but fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. I see it worked with Makalov then. I eval'd before the first bid and had to put an offer in on the offchance everyone else missed your advert - after all it is nearly Christmas and people may have been distracted.... Apparently not though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive work on the 19/6 evaluating at 19/8. Can you include his actual skill and selling dv/form in your results here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, he was at 6.4 and I got him to 18 dv, which I understand takes him to bang on 7.5. AF is 14 and form now is 15.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. So once listed he has shown as his exact skill with you after your next cr, albeit age stayed the same. I didn't think the mini cr was that exact. On occasion I've had young keepers on 16, 17 dv after the first few games of a season, this suggests listing then should pretty much guarantee an underval.

      Delete
    3. The time of sale is important. 18 DV should normally give a skill gain of 1.3, but I was selling at the very last moment in a league with 18 match days and one game a week, so the last two weeks when sales can't happen is a smaller portion of the season.

      If you get a player to 17 DV really quickly, waiting to sell is usually the best way forward as each day that passes means a player gains a little bit more of their skill increase, even if you aren't playing them.

      Delete
  5. Noted, cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you know they are undervalued and if they are you have to list them at a low starting price and hope people notice and bid really high. Also people don't like to buy at the end of the season so it would make the sale proce lower. I tried this once and didn't get anything like the return I wanted after maxing out training and getting an 18 dev. Not sure if he was undervalued or not - how do you know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you calculate a player's exact skill, you can work out what you need to do to in terms of DV for them to be listed as undervalued here:

      http://x11stuff.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-science-of-underevals.html?_sm_au_=iVV0F4sq546TPQsq

      It is true that managers don't like to buy at the end of the season. However, if the start of your season (when you're looking to buy) is near the end of my season (when I may be looking to sell), then there's a good fit. All the Xpert Leagues are staggered across the 14 week season length (although there is a slight imbalance so some leagues are seen as better for buying).

      I list low to encourage evaluations - you only need two managers to think the player is worth the extra money and bid to get the price you want. The more evaluations you get, the more likely you are to find those two managers.

      You can find out if a player is undervalued by asking another coach to evaluate them - this is easier in the official leagues where a player is listed by name, but is possible in private leagues if you provide exact details of age, skill, SQs and deadline.

      Delete