20/10/2014

Starting a team from scratch

While most managers will get their enjoyment from winning trophies (and don't get me wrong, that is pretty sweet), part of my enjoyment comes from taking a hopeless team and building them up from nothing to being competitive. I managed it with Huge Pythons in the Master League and I'm hoping to do the same in the Xpert Ladies. Most of my teams are usually in a stage of development as opposed to competing directly for silverware.

My latest project, in the League of D, had enough about them to get promoted to the top division, but the sheer lack of assets means that we're in for a drubbing. I've got five youths training up this season, but I've come up with my approach for the next two or three seasons.

The key to this project will be profitability, although I will be aiming to actually win some games in the lower tier while I'm at it. I'm starting to move away from forwards as a source of income since:
  • more and more people are realising how useless they are; and
  • those people are now training up young forwards themselves, driving down profit margins.

The plan will be to make as much money as possible from young defenders and midfielders, using rotation of formations and decent mentors. I'm aiming to have a veteran GK, 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and a striker. That doesn't necessarily leave many spaces in the line-up for giving young'uns game time, but the approach will be to use two subs at 45 minutes each game, and rotating between 4-5-1 at home and 5-4-1 away. The section with 5 in can give two players a full game and two a half game, which should be enough to get all the prospects to a point where DV > AF, so I only need to worry about training the life out of them. Eight training sessions should be just about covered by the team's weekly income, so as long as I've enough cash to bring in my building blocks, I should be laughing.

As it stands, there are three weeks left in the current season, so I'm looking to build up as much cash between now and the start of next season (hopefully doubling a couple of the youths I currently have) and we'll see how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. In your opinion a player entering at the second half at the minute 45 gets more points than another entering at 75?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was confirmed by the developers. The experience gained for players (as a percentage of the experience gained for a full game) is as follows:

      1 min = 5% of one full game
      5 mins = 15%
      10 mins = 23%
      15 mins = 30%
      20 mins = 37%
      25 mins = 43%
      30 mins = 48%
      35 mins = 53%
      40 mins = 58%
      45 mins = 63%
      50 mins = 68%
      55 mins = 72%
      60 mins = 76%
      65 mins = 80%
      70 mins = 85%
      75 mins = 89%
      80 mins = 92%
      85 mins = 96%
      90 mins = 100%

      Delete
  2. I agree with quite a lot of what you write.... But I didn't get WHY strikers are useless... In my Chievo team, my young striker has netted 16 times, and is top scorer of the league as well as the player with the most points.... Had him since he was a duckling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have had strikers score goals, but they are far from essential to a side wanting to score. MicheleP has had success in the Xpert Leagues, and Freddy9adu won a top division in the official leagues with just 4-skill strikers.

      The importance of midfielders (and the lack of importance for strikers) to chance creation, as well as the unusual way in which chances are distributed and the probability of scoring mean that you would want your midfield to be as strong as possible.

      Fielding a young nobody striker can help as you can then field slightly older midfielders to create more chances (which aren't likely to fall to the striekr anyway). With players probably reaching their maximum skill around 32, you can eke the last bit of performance out of an older, stronger mid and use the forward to bring the average age down.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply.... rather makes sense...

      Delete